Monday, August 5, 2013

Book Review: The Sailor on the Sea of Fate and The Weird of the White Wolf

To make up for being late, I’m doing the next two book reviews in one.  That, and they are the second and third books in the Elric Saga.  The Sailor on the Sea of Fate and The Weird of the White Wolf wrap up the first trilogy in this series by Michael Moorcock.

The antihero theme carries through these books, just like the first..  I think I struggled more with the plot and idea of the second book.  White Wolf is the third book and seemed to make a bit more sense to me from a plot perspective.  Sea of Fate felt like Moorcock combined a knight in shining armor medieval fantasy with an alien invasion futuristic novel.  It just didn't fit as well for me.  White Wolf had the main character, Elric, off on a quest for magic.  While he runs into similar issues in White Wolf, Elric’s journey felt like it made more sense to me.

Now, I know there are several more books in the series.  From what I have been told, the stuff in Sea of Fate will come back and make more sense later.  I just don’t know if I can get that far.  To me, at least, there feels like something missing in the books.  Maybe it’s the antihero theme that isn’t drawing me in anymore.


Again, not necessarily bad books, but not ones I would say to move to the top of your reading list.

No comments:

Post a Comment