Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Book Review: The Tombs of Atuan

This is the second book in the Earthsea Cycle by Ursula LeGuin.  Again, it is an old school fantasy novel.  As such, it still doesn’t move very quickly.  LeGuin spends quite a bit of effort in making sure the details are clear enough to really picture what is happening.

This book continues following Ged as he works to fight against his nemesis.  But, don’t look for Ged until the second half of the book.  The first half introduces Tenar.  She becomes the priestess of the Nameless Ones and, in the process, is renamed Arha – the eaten one.  She becomes a key figure in Ged’s life during the second half of the book.

Once again, I found myself struck by how writing styles have evolved.  Don’t get me wrong – I enjoyed The Tombs of Atuan very much.  I just can’t help but think that if it were written today instead of 1970, I wonder if it would have won a Newbery Honor, or been as popular?

It is certainly a book that I would add to the list to get to someday, higher on the list if you enjoyed A Wizard of Earthsea.  


No comments:

Post a Comment