Monday, August 15, 2011

Two things...

OK - there are two things I want to cover in this blog.  No, they have nothing to do with each other but, oh well.  Live with it.

Number 1 - My first thing to cover is more of an accountability for me - and motivation.  I have been trying to get myself into better shape.  So, as the accountability/motivation piece for me I figure I'm going to add a line at the end of my blog entries to track my progress.  The numbers are 2 measurements.  No - I am not going to say which particular measurements they are but most women would be able to figure it out fairly quickly.  I figure I'm going to go with the measurement thing because, quite frankly, I don't care about the number on the scale.  Most of my life my weight has been on the high end for my height, even when I was in pretty good shape.  And, since this venture is about fitting into my clothes better, the measurements are a better tracker for me anyways.

Number 2 - My second thing is actually the topic I intended for this blog entry (see, I was actually getting to the point!).  I have realized something.  I don't know if it is fair to say it's about myself, even though it kinda is.

Let me back up a second.  In order to understand what I'm getting at, you need to follow the entire train of thought.  I started this blog as a spur for myself to write more.  That being said, one of the other things I am working on is a fiction piece I started several years ago.  I would call it a story but in terms of word count it is definitely approaching novel length.  Anyways, I've been working on finishing this story.  It's about half way done, maybe more.  Well, I'd given what I did have finished to a close friend to read and critique for me.

So, this realization I came to happened when she made a comment about the story.  She was telling me she was excited to get some more.  I told her that I was working on it.  I knew where the story went but I was having some issues getting it there.  Thinking about that today (as well as some more of how to get my story to the end I already have in mind - which is a first for me), I came to a kind of scary realization.

The problem I am having with my story is that the characters are not doing what I wanted them to do.  For example, while at the gym, it dawned on me that part of why I was having issues with the interactions between two of the characters was because this wasn't really their story.  They play vital roles in it, but it isn't about their relationship to each other.  Then I realized that my ideas have taken on a life of their own.  They're my ideas and I have no clue what they're gonna do to get to the end.  I know the end I have in mind is, generally speaking, what will happen because it just feels that right.  It answers many of the things hanging at this point in the story.

But, come on.  It's my imagination - why won't it do what I wanted it to do?  Anyways.  If anyone cared, that was what I realized today.

Measurements - 34" and 41".

No comments:

Post a Comment