Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Book Review: Island of the Blue Dolphins

This week’s book is Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O’Dell.  What can I say about this one, it’s a classic.  I remember reading this as a kid and just recently re-read it as an adult.  From an adult’s perspective, there are quite a few questions about the plausibility and realism of the book.  I found myself wondering why Karana, the main character, made some of the choices she did.

Then I stopped and reminded myself that this is a children’s book written in 1960.  From that perspective, this is a great book.  Strangers, fighting, abandonment and wild dogs make for a thrilling read from a kid’s point of view.  The nice part is that, having been written in 1960, the descriptions of fighting, wild dogs, and more (that I won’t give away for anyone who hasn't read this book) are not overly graphic.

I would put Island of the Blue Dolphins on a highly recommended to read list, particularly for kids.


No comments:

Post a Comment