Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Book Review: Shadow Bound by Erin Kellison

Shadow Bound by Erin Kellison is an interesting take on paranormal fantasy/romance.  The premise of the book is that a figure, presumably Death, falls in love with a mortal woman.  A child is born of that relationship.  But, in punishment for that, there are bad guys that are turned loose in the world (think a twist on the vampire idea).

This story is about the daughter born of that relationship – Talia O’Brien.  She has special talents because of her patronage.  She also happens to be the key for Adam Thorne in his quest to cure his brother of this disease/possession/whatever you want to call it.

I have to be honest.  I found the book to be a little more predictable than I cared for.  I enjoyed the spin Kellison put on the vampire, good versus evil and fantasy themes.  She had some interesting ways of looking at these ideas and weaving them into her world in a believable way.  I also think she did a good job of creating some reasonably believable characters.  I wouldn’t say that they were stand outs, but they had dimensionality and life.  Which is better than some books I’ve read recently.  My biggest issue is that I would have liked to see a similar kind of twist to the plot.  But, to me, that didn’t happen.

So, in the end, I would have to say that this is a book to put one the “Get to Eventually” list.  Nothing overly stellar but not one to avoid either.


No comments:

Post a Comment