Monday, November 4, 2013

Book Review: Soul’s Gate by James L. Rubart

Soul’s Gate by James L. Rubart is a rather interesting book.  I love the premise that one can, literally, travel into the soul of someone else to help fight a battle against the demons there.  That being said, I was a little taken back by the intense amount of overt Christian beliefs referenced in the book.  Not that I’m against it, but it wasn't what I was expecting when I considered reading this book.

On the positive side, the premise of the book is wonderful.  The characters are easy to relate to and believable.  It reads fairly quickly and doesn't take much work to understand or follow.  The prose is pretty good – not the best I've ever read but by far not the worst.

The biggest down side is that if you have difficulty with things connected to Christianity, this book is definitely not for you.  I think that if I would have gone into reading this book knowing that, it wouldn't have stuck out to me so much.

I am going to reserve judgment on whether or not you should read this one due to the religious piece.  I strongly ascribe to that saying about avoiding religion and politics if you want to avoid an argument.  I feel that it applies here.  Certainly worth a read if you don’t mind the religious piece.  If the religious piece is a turn off, there are thousands of other great books out there, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment