Monday, July 21, 2014

Book Review: Life of Pi by Yann Martel

This week’s book review is on Life of Pi by Yann Martel.  The story is about a boy growing up in his father’s zoo in India.  Then, when things change in the government, they sell the zoo and plan to move to Canada.  Piscine, or Pi for short, goes with the animals to help relocate them to North America but encounters a bad storm during the ocean voyage.  He is then stranded in a life boat with quite a few of the animals.  The rest of the story is about that experience.

I have to say that I struggled some with this book.  It jumps around some between reminiscing about the events and living the events.  There is also quite a bit of spirituality included in it that gets somewhat convoluted at times.
But, that being said, the story was quite interesting.  The ending was particularly good.  Like usual, I won’t give it away.  You’ll have to trust me on that.  The characters were well developed, including the animals.  And the detail balanced well, for the most part, with moving the story along.

I would say this is a book you should get to, but be prepared for a bit of a challenging read.  And I can’t compare it to the movie as I have not seen the movie so someone else will have to cover that bit for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment