Tuesday, February 8, 2011

I had a rather funny thing happen today. I was at work and we were on a break from group with the kids (read teenagers). Most of the group we currently have are boys. Some how the subject came up that I practice martial arts. The kids heard it. A couple of the boys were absolutely floored that I did martial arts. The looks on their faces and their reactions were more like someone had just told them the moon really is made of green cheese or something like that. It wasn't like I told them I could fly. One part I loved was that immediately upon learning this a couple of them proclaimed that they were not going to misbehave around me enough to get me mad at them!

But this got me thinking...what do we expect out of people? It is too easy to end up with preconceived ideas about who people are and what they should do. I don't really look like the kind of person to do martial arts (read 5'4" and don't look like I weigh as much as I do) but I do. It makes me wonder if I would be caught as off guard as these kids were about learning something rather unexpected from someone. Just one of those things that, while really funny, made me stop and think a moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment