Saturday, January 18, 2014

In the Aftermath

This is the next part in my Weather Riders series.  To find the rest of the story up to this point, follow the Weather Riders tab above.  As always any concrit is most welcome.  I know there are a few things I need to do to seam these pieces together better - such has having changed my narrator's name part way through the series and needing to make sure it's consistent through out the posts.


I don’t know how long it took for the ambulance to get there.  I told the paramedics Isaac had tripped and hit his head.  They didn't ask what we were doing out in the park during the storm.  I didn't care what they thought as long as Isaac was okay.

I couldn't remember the ride to the hospital with Isaac.  So much was swirling through my mind.  Caiden was so not what I had been told to expect from his kind.  Sure.  He came across cold-blooded mercenary.  But that kind of person wouldn't have cared about trying to save Isaac’s life.  Or soothing my fear.

Spending the next several hours in the emergency room was not part of my plans for the day.  I wanted to stay long enough for Isaac to wake up, or at least for the doctors to tell me he was fine.

I must have dozed off because I woke to Isaac nudging me.

“Shay?  What happened?”

I handed him a glass of water with a straw to ease the burr in his voice, “Don’t you remember?  You went rogue.”

“What do you mean I went rogue?  I was out in the park making sure the storm passed through without major issues just like I always do.”

“No, Isaac.  I was there.  You were riding the high and totally drunk on the storm surge.”

Our conversation was interrupted by a knock at his door.  A short blond-haired man with the most intense blue eyes stood with one hand in his pocket and the other resting on the door frame.

“I’m sorry to interrupt, but I need to finish my job.”

“You’re on clean up?” I didn't want to give out too much information where anyone besides Isaac could hear me.

“Yes, ma’am.  I was also told to send you on down the hall.  You’re wanted down that way.”

I arched an eyebrow.

He held both hands up in self-defense, “Hey.  Don’t shoot the messenger here.”

“All right.  But I’ll be back to check on Isaac.  If things go downhill there is nothing on this Earth that will stop me from hunting you down.”

“He’ll be fine, ma’am.  Not trying to brag, but I am one of the best in the area.”

I brushed passed him as he headed for Isaac and I went down the hall.  At the main entrance Caiden leaned against the wall.

“I wanted to make sure you had a ride home.”

My breath caught a little against my will, “I’ll be fine.  Thanks for checking, though.”

“You did good out there, Shayna.”

My silence must have bothered him, “You did what you had to do.  You helped save his life and you didn't panic.  No one was hurt and the storm was controlled,” he continued, his voice low enough I strained a little to hear him.

“I still feel like I betrayed him somehow.”

“Trust me.  You saved his life.  Look.  Let me take you out to dinner.  Consider it a work dinner.  There are things we need to talk about.”

That made me nervous.  But I wasn't sure what was worse, that Caiden wanted to talk to me or that I was being asked to dinner with one good looking man.

No comments:

Post a Comment